Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 12: Scooby-Doo, We Are Not Going To Be Friends, But. . . .

Scooby-Doo, you honestly never did much for me. I found your voice annoying and grating, and sometimes when you talked, it sounded like sludge filtering through a sock. 

Shaggy, I definitely didn't like you. You were stupid for stupid's sake, and that's no way to go through life.

Velma, what can I say? You're smart, but your humor bone is broken. You're dull. You dress dull. You look dull. You give dull a bad name. Lighten up and we'll talk.

Fred, you wear a scarf every day. It's your security blanket.  You should lose it.

Daphne, step into the light already. 

Yeah, I never cared much for the ole' gang. I didn't appreciate Scrappy Doo on any level, and seeing Vincent Price just depressed me to realize how far he'd fallen. The "Oh, we're so hungry" gag got old fast, and the Scooby Snacks thing just doesn't make sense. Scooby has been afforded a brand of snacks named after him, yet he travels in a van filled with people who trick him into doing things that will put him in harm's way by enticing him with the very snacks that are named after him. Makes no sense. 

A lot of Scooby-Doo doesn't make sense to me, including why people like it so much. People including my daughter. She's obsessed. Obsessed because of monsters and mysteries, and probably because there are a lot of snacks being eaten. Old me looked at her fondness as a pain to be endured. Now me, though, is thankful Scooby makes her laugh. As dopey, dimwitted, and food-obsessed as I find Scooby, this isn't about me. It's about a little kid being happy. 


 
 

3 comments:

  1. Spot on. My eldest went through his hardcore Scooby phase at age 8. That transitioned to Pokemon, which is now giving way to Sonic the Hedgehog. Considering that we started with Star Wars and Indiana Jones, I find each new obsession (all of which steal time from reading and "real" learning) more inane and wasteful than the last. What's a dad to do? Just grin, bear it, and trust that some part of their brain that handles imagination is being exercised. Any alternative is too depressing to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is ALL wrong! you have lots of problems just to hate on Scooby-Doo man GET A LIFE!

    ReplyDelete