Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 7: Basketball, I Heart You

Sitting at basketball practice isn't the same as practicing basketball. I'm grateful to have a child who loves the game, though. I miss playing so much on these days when I'm watching my daughter play. I miss the sweat. I miss the challenges. I miss the battles and wars. I miss the locker room and the laughs. I miss the bus rides and watching the night pass by out the frosty window. I miss the smell of the gym and the echo of the ball off the walls as it bounced. I miss the hot summer games at night and scooping the driveway free of snow in the winter so we could play. I miss hearing my dad's voice yelling at me from the stands. I miss playing defense. I miss watching teammates who didn't get many chances for glory get it and revel in it. I miss cheerleaders and pep bands. I miss eating licorice before dressing for the games. I miss sitting awake in bed at night and dreaming of what could be. Sports isn't about winning. It's about where the journey toward winning takes you. God, I miss basketball today.

No comments:

Post a Comment