Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 59: Thoughts On Bob Kerry

Back in 1992 when I was a reporter for the North Platte Telegraph, I interviewed Bob Kerry during his campaign for President of The United States. I had to share the interview with a reporter from the local television station, and we were only granted 20 minutes or so of his time, as he was making a cross-state trip, stopping in several other cities throughout the day.

I was all of about 22 years old and without a doubt I was out of my league. To say my nerves were all in a flutter interviewing a potential president is a tremendous and stupid understatement. To make matters worse, as some of the local TV reporters were apt to do then, the reporter I was sharing the time with didn't have much to offer other than a variety of softballs she lobbed in Kerry's general direction. I think she was too busy flirting with a prominent official to remember we were there to do a job. I was taught not to pitch my questions right down the middle of the plate and felt compelled to ask at least a few questions that readers were expecting to be asked.

With each passing question, I managed to fumble my words out of my mouth with a little less grace and clearer articulation than the one before. But with each bumbled question, Bob Kerry patiently waited for me to finish stumbling all over myself and answered each with an in-depth answer. I've always appreciated that.

I'm a long ways from news reporting days. I wasn't really cut out for the gig. I didn't like calling officials at night. I didn't like confrontations. I didn't like covering robberies and murders. I didn't like deadlines or not having a social life. I didn't like sitting in court for long afternoons. I didn't like sitting at school board meetings all night or trying to decipher legislative bills or attending Wal-Mart grand openings. I'm glad for the years I spent doing the job because I met tremendous people who taught me lessons I still apply today, but it wasn't a good fit for my personality. Still, there are moments I truly value, and interviewing Bob Kerry was one of them.

Growing up during his stint as Nebraska's governor, I respected his dedication. I respected his service and sacrifice for his country. I respected that he was adamant about carrying on a life outside of the Legislature and politics. I still admire Bob Kerry. I don't care that he hasn't lived in the state for 12 years. I guarantee you he loves his home more than 99% of Nebraskans. I guarantee I can trust his moral compass and ethical base. I guarantee he'll do his due diligence and he won't be easily persuaded by lobbyists, and he'll listen. Let me repeat those last words: He'll listen.

I'll admit, my politics and Bob Kerry's politics are probably pretty much in line. It wouldn't matter, though. The man looked me directly in the eyes, and I sensed his commitment. I believe in that. At least in my very humble opinion, I feel extremely positive about Bob Kerry's decision to seek election again to the U.S. Senate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment