Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 76: Steak & Potatoes

Where food is concerned, I'm a pretty simple man. I like my food simple. I like my choices to be simple. I like simple, straight ahead, no nonsense food that's edible, that won't confuse my taste buds, that won't upset the delicate balance I've worked so hard to build.

I don't particularly like to experiment with food. I know plenty of people who do and who are entirely happy doing so. They dabble in this. They dabble in that. The order of the menu. They walk down aisles of the grocery store I don't even know exist. They eat things I can't pronounce. No judgement here. What's fine for you is fine for you. But it's not my thing.

I'm sure not living a little more dangerously where food is concerned is to my own detriment, but I more or less have grown accustomed to the fact that where trying new dishes or dipping my chip in a new concoction is related, I'd rather not, thank you. Give me the basics. That's all I ask. I'll stick with what has gotten my this far: humdrum choices I know aren't going to let me down.

Here's the thing, I like to set myself up for success. I like to devote just one portion of my day to knowing that I'm going to make myself happy. Today, that involved supper. Yes, any day, like today, that my last meal consists of steak and potatoes, that, my friend, was a good day. Nothing fancy. Nothing that took hours to prepare and make. Five ingredients. That's all. Steak, potatoes, salt, pepper, and butter. Ta da. We have a winner, folks.

That's positive, brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment