Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 83: I'm Not As Old As I Feel

Ok, the alumni basketball game I played in today at Ashland-Greenwood High School was fun. It's always great to see people you grew up with or watched grow up and check in and see how their lives are going. And it's definitely always good to play basketball. But there comes a point when you need to know your limitations and stick with your own. And by stick with your own I mean people your own age.

I have no business these days playing basketball against kids 20 or 25 years younger than me. Lord knows I may have decades of life experience on these pups, but life experience doesn't count for much when you're dragging tail up and down the court chasing the pups. The worse thing in the world is having a new puppy who bolts out the door and down the street, causing you to chase after him in desperation. That's what today felt like. Well, to be more accurate, that's what I feel like right now. I felt pretty good during the actual games, but it's always the aftermath that gets you. Right now, the aftermath is tearing the hell out of my legs, toes, shoulders, neck, and for some reason I still can't figure out, my butt.

I must have taken a tumble at some point while I was trying not to make a fool of myself. I guess old age is keeping me from remembering exactly when it occurred. In any case, it's pretty pathetic and humbling that the worse thing that hurts on me is my butt. What have I become? What does this say about me. Still, as sore as I am, and as bad as my butt may hurt, I'm pretty sure I'll be doing it all over again next year. Knowing my limitations isn't my strong suit. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment