Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 171: Watching The Wheels

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round, 
I really love to watch them roll. 
No longer riding on the merry-go-round.
I just had to let it go. 

I love those lyrics from John Lennon. They pretty much epitomize what I feel like doing about a 100 different times each day. If I had my way, all I'd ever do is watch the wheels go round and round.

I wish everyone had the same mentality, although nothing much would probably get done if they did. Still, if you can't sit back and pay attention to not paying attention once in awhile, I really believe you're missing out on the gift that is life. You're missing out on the gift that is observation, which might be the best means of learning there is.

Today, I took a seat in my garage and watched the rain spit from the sky. That was it. Just watched. Just listened. Didn't fuss or fret. Wasn't feeling thankful for the precipitation. Wasn't worrying about the chance of hail. Just watched and listened and took in the smells the falling drops were conjuring up around me. Didn't contemplate what was going to happen next or what had happened previously. And I'm all the better for having done it. I'm all the more advanced for having put absolutely no effort into anything for that 25 minutes or so. I couldn't be more pleased that I didn't utter a word during that time or worked up even one bead of sweat. I couldn't be more happy with myself that I didn't exert any force or make any demands or wish any wishes. I don't have the slightest regret or bit of guilt for all the things I could have been doing but didn't. I feel no remorse for having accomplished anything but by just sitting I accomplished everything.


Just sit. If it's good enough for the Buddha, it's good enough for me. 

A good friend told me not long ago of a particular experience he had just had in which he was completely in the zone. Completely in and of the moment. As he said, many times we find ourselves in a particular space for a particular reason. Maybe it's to attend a city council meeting or give a presentation or attend a sermon or attend a conference for work during which we're expected to walk away having learned something vital. But many times even though we're in the setting, we're really not. We're thinking thoughts and making plans or making counter plans. W'ere wondering if we're prepared. We're wondering if what we're wearing is OK. We're wondering if we're comprehending what's being said or if we're good enough to be in the company that we're presently keeping. We're doing everything but actively engaging in the moment, everything but taking each second as it presents itself and swallowing it with complete understanding and fulfillment. That's a tough thing to do for even a few minutes, let alone an extended period of time. But when it happens, if you let it happen, amazing ground can be covered.


Just sit. I absolutely just love to sit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment