Saturday, July 28, 2012

Day 209: The Olympics

It's funny. At no other time would I watch a swimming event than the Olympics. At no other time would I watch diving or gymnastics or any number of other of sports than the Olympics. But not only that. At no other time would I watch any other sport with as much intensity and joy. There's something about watching a legitimate race with everything hanging in the balance that's beyond intriguing and fascinating. There's something about watching an event where there's so much pomp and circumstance that's captivating.

There's also an aspect about the Olympics that takes me back to my childhood and sitting in front of that tv in the living room and seeing what the world and athletes looked like on a huge scale made me feel large and small at the same time. The world was so much smaller then. So much more mysterious and full of promise. Perhaps more than anything the Olympics makes me feel a part of something bigger, knowing do many the world over are watching what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment