Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 248: Dig Dug & Commander Chris




Today, I ran across an article concerning old-school arcade games, the likes of Asteroids, Centipede, Super Breakout, and others—games that kids today would most likely scoff at with utter disrespect due to the lack of gameplay and challenges, low-end graphics, and flimsy story lines that those games of old offered up compared to their high-res, movie-quality combat competitions of now. But for the kids of my generation, those games are looked upon with sincere and lifelong adulation.

The article took me instantly back to one of the greatest days of my life, a day when I witnessed a peer no different than me get every last bit of conceivable joy, pleasure, tension, stress, fatigue, mental and physical endurance, and hand-eye coordination possible out of a single, solitary quarter.

Never before or after have I gotten as much unmitigated happiness and sense of accomplishment out of 25 cents, and all I did was stand there and watch it all go down.

What I witnessed was absolute magnificence.

A towering accomplishment.

A boy transformed into a conquering hero.

A small town kid morphed into a valiant knight.

A warrior in possession of supreme skills.

A ninja master who effortlessly brought together his most excellent skills and forged them into a finely honed weapon of destruction.

What I witnessed that day was the personification of an ordinary boy overcoming all odds and obstacles relentlessly put in front of him only set each one aside to climb to the top of the proverbial mountain and reign supreme among all.

What I’m talking about, good people, is the day I witnessed my friend, a boy named Chris, plug a quarter into the Dig Dug machine at the Gas N’ Shop on the corner of Main Street and proceed to spend the next several hours in complete and total domination, until in the end, he rolled that machine, humbling it and all who watched in the process.

It was an epic day. A magical day. A moment I’ll never forget. There was no indication of what was to come. There were trumpets sounding. There was no parade. There were no screaming crowds. But damn it if the world didn’t stand still ever so briefly that late afternoon as that period after school slowly faded into supper time and then beyond.

Level after level, tunnel after tunnel, pattern after pattern, Chris wore that joystick out. Though his legs were fatigued (as were mine), though his throat grew dry, though his forehead sweat bullets like never before, he persevered. I was in awe.

Chris was the undoubted master of arcade games among my click. While Tim was the undisputed Gorf master, winning free pizza after free pizza at Buck’s Place each week for charting the high score, Chris was a master of all games. He always got his quarter’s worth, unlike me who might as well of had “Sucker Coming” plastered to his forehead. I sucked, but I sucked equally at all games. That was my calling card.

Chris, though, he was pure. Defender, Asteroids, whatever the game, he was fluid and unflappable. That day on the Dig Dug machine, though, he was in the zone. He was not to be f*cked with. He might have been among the shortest of my friends, but he stood tallest that day.

Hour after hour he went on and on. Soon, I realized I would either have to make the long walk home in order to make it in time for supper and miss the epic achievement that was happening before my eyes as a result, or I could accept that I was going to be in trouble and stay and revel in Chris’ glory. I stayed. I’ve never regretted the decision. I’ve never seen a machine rolled since.

Today, when I drive past that lot where that Gas N’ Shop used to stand this is the memory I attach most greatly to the empty space. A boy. An arcade game. And one quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment