Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Day 304: Boo Radley, King Of Halloween


If I could, I'd nominate and make Boo Radley the Saint of All Hallows Eve. In my book (pun unintended), Boo has always been the man. He was never more the man, though, than on that fateful Halloween in Maycomb when he did the right thing at the right time, looking the Boogeyman in the eye and knocking him right on his drunken ass.

I remember vividly the first time I read “Mockingbird” and just knew more than anything I had every known before that Boo wasn’t a bad man. I just knew. It turned out I was right. I don’t know if I’ve ever felt as good about being right about a plot line since.

But Boo just wasn’t a good dude; he has a straight-up hero. Straight up, stone-cold, backward, Southern-boy doo-gooder, fighting the monster and protecting the innocent. The way Boo dealt with Bob Ewell is still one of my favorite passages contained in any book and still one of my favorite scenes from any movie. I can feel the wind now whipping around from inside Scout’s oversized ham costume and her terrified, wondering what the hell was going on all around her. I can still recall how I was mortified for Jem and how my arm hurt when Bob Ewell wrenched on Jem's limb for all it was worth.


I’ve long held Atticus in the highest regard (and even named a cat after him). I’m mesmerized by Gregory Peck’s depiction more it seems every time I see it. I’ve also long wished I could have been friends with Dill and participated in his chaos and humor. I’ve long believed that Jem, maybe my favorite “Mockingbird” character of all, grew up to become a senator or Supreme Court Justice. But it’s Boo who is the one that really intrigued me as a kid, and that really hasn’t changed much into my middle-aged years.

I can’t recall too many Halloweens where Boo didn’t come into my thoughts, wondering what his bedroom looked like and the view he had from his window. Wondering what would have happened if Heck hadn’t protected him from the publicity that Boo was due. Wondering what would have really happened to Boo if Heck hadn’t have had his best interest in mind. Wondering if Boo gave other little kids gifts. Did his dad beat him? Did his mother love him? Was that Halloween night Boo shining moment? The best he’d ever become?

Every town has a Boo Radley. That guy who is deeply misunderstood. Who is mysterious. Reclusive. Seen but not known. Silent but still manages to speak volumes. That guy who everyone wants to know but no one dares to get close enough to find out what’s fact and what’s fiction. The guy perceived as dangerous. The guy created from perception and half-truths.

The world could use more Boo Radleys, guys with golden hearts and the bravery to act when action is needed. Happy Halloween, Boo. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment