Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 25: A Blind Guy Walking Down The Hall . . .


Today as I was walking down a hallway at work, a woman was filling up her glass from the water fountain. From the opposite direction a blind man who works in my building was walking our way. After the man accidentally grazed the woman on her foot with his walking cane, she said, “Oops, I’m sorry.” The man, though, quickly followed up by saying, “No, no. I’m sorry. I obviously wasn’t watching where I was going.”

Awesome.

Both the woman and I instantly let out a chuckle. The man, though, immediately let out a booming laugh, something I found so appealing and satisfying. That laugh was so genuine and hearty, it made my day.
I’m nearly positive that this guy has pulled out that same joke from the “Guaranteed To Get A Laugh” jar dozens of times over the years. Who cares? It’s a great line, and damn it, if a blind guy isn't able to tell that joke whenever the hell he wants, what's the point of all this? It’s a sure-fire winner, and there aren’t too many of those in life.

Still, although the joke got me, it was his response and laugh that lingered on. That beautiful, sincere, honest laugh. Even though I strongly suspect that wasn’t the first time he broke that joke out, the delivery, the response he got, and his own willingness to laugh at his own joke gave no hint as such. That laughter was so infectious and so appropriate and so unique to him, I felt fortunate to have been in the proximity.

I have a lifelong habit of reading too much into situations and paying them more attention than they deserve. It’s very likely that I’m doing that very thing in this situation, but I don’t care. He brightened my day and for at least a minute, I forgot where I was, what I was doing, and how stressful my day was. For that moment, it was just pure gold to be alive.

Not for a second did he make me feel or think, “Oh, I’m so lucky to have my sight.” “Oh, I’m so fortunate.” “Oh, I should be so grateful.” “Oh, there for the grace of God. . . .” That crap never entered my mind. He just made me laugh. He just made me smile. And for the rest of the day when I think about that one seemingly insignificant moment, I’ll do the same.

We’re all just travelers, man. We’re all just making our way. We all have our own crosses to bear. It’s so tremendously uplifting to me when individuals are able to tote their crosses everywhere they go without any indication they are doing so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment