Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 41: Music Is My Master

If you are the type of person who wanted to do me harm, the worst thing you could do is ban music from my existence. I'd go mad sooner than later.

I can't remember a time when music wasn't one of the most important, if not the most important, factors in keeping me breathing. Music means so much to me, it's impossible to capture it in words. I literally can't focus on just one aspect for more than a few seconds without my mind racing down a thousands different related roads.

I realize I'm no different than a bazillion other people who rely on music (probably too much) for happiness and strength and peace of mind and more, but music is beyond a personal experience to me. Always has been. I've listened to it, played it, written it, reviewed it, watched it performed, dreamed about it, missed it, taken it for granted, shared it, believed in it, and treasured it.

One of my greatest achievements has been passing my appreciation and love of music on to my kids. They have wonderful taste, and I know that each of them will always have music in their lives. I see how they depend on it and seek it out and sink into it. I witness how they explore it in order to arrive at their our choices. It really is a beautiful thing to see. Better, it's a beautiful bond to be able to share. Music will always tie us together, and how could I not be anything but thankful for that?

I love when people ask me who my favorite band is. It also perplexes the hell out of me. There are some bands that will consistently make the Top 10, but my answer could change 10 times within the same minute. One day it's The Replacements. The next it's The Pixies. Then there's The Band or Duke Ellington's Orchestra or early Stones or Rage Against The Machine or Public Enemy or Wu Tang Clan or The Flying Burrito Brothers and so on.

Nailing down a favorite all-time song is impossible. Some days I'd say Van Morrison's "Sweet Thing" tops my list. Then's there Dylan's "Idiot Wind" or any one of a dozens others from him. One hour it's The Replacements "The Regular" or "Skyway," while the next it's Willie Nelson's "Angle Flying Too Close To The Ground." Listening to any song by Son House or Ralph Stanley would leave me content for the rest of time.
The wedding songs my wife and I picked were "Wrecking Ball" by Neil  Young and "Carrying A Torch" by Van Morrison, and those both could top my list.

More than any other facet of life, music has been the most important. It's been the foundation for about every emotion I've ever felt. It's motivated me. Soothed my soul. Changed my way of thinking. Educated me. Enlightened me. Drown me in sorrow. Pulled me in directions I couldn't imagine having gravitated to otherwise. It's amazed me, disappointed me, and maddened me. It's disciplined me and fought for me.

The single greatest thing I ever did for myself was teach myself how to play guitar. It opened countless doors to appreciating and understand music in new ways.

The greatest influence on me musically has been Bob Dylan.

I've lost count of the number of people I've seen concerts with, but I can't be more thankful for how music put me in the same space with so many people sharing a common experience.

Elvis, Muddy Waters, Son House, Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Jerry Garcia, Ralph Stanley, Keith Richards, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and so many others have been like fathers to me.

If I could only listen to one type of music for the rest of time, it would be traditional blues.

The first album I bought with my own album was "Cum On Feel The Noize" by Quiet Riot.

I wore out my copy of "Purple Rain" sometime around 1990 and had to buy another.

My daughter was named in honor of Ella Fitzgerald.

I've listened to Dylan's "Blood On The Tracks," The Replacements "Tim," and John Coltrane's "Love Supreme" probably more than any other albums.

I prefer albums, but I am a man of the digital age.

Every member of my family but my four-year-old has a copy of Lucinda Williams' "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road," and I'm proud that I introduced them to it.

Lucinda Williams with The Bottle Rockets was about as much fun as I've had at a show and sharing it with my wife is one of my favorite memories.

Pop music is the only music I don't like.

50s garage rock is the best music to dance to.

I love Tito Puente.

I love Cuban music.

Bruce Springsteen is as good now as when I saw him in 1984. "Jungleland" gives me chills every time I hear it.

Ricki Lee Jones makes me swoon.

Elvis' "Suspicious Eyes" is genius. Graceland should be a mandatory visit for every human being.

Buddy Guy makes me smile without playing a note.

I've had a crush on Joan Jett for a long time.

My heart goes bonkers every time I'm in the midst of a great record collection.

I saw KISS on the first tour they did after the makeup came off. "Lick It Up" indeed.

It breaks my heart more people haven't reveled in John Prine.

Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" is a wonderful album, and I don't care who says different.

I firmly believe that The Valley High School pep band playing Rick James "Superfreak" in 1985 before our basketball game was a sign from god that life is to be enjoyed.

I wish I was more like Steve Earle, Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, and Leonard Cohen.

Husker Du makes me want to fight.

I've exchanged email with Henry Rollins on a few occasions, and each time he responds I feel like a school girl in love.

I have a strong appreciation for Slayer, Metallica, and Pantera.

Lyle Lovett is a good man.

Last night I did the dishes listening to Warren Zevon.

I have to stop now. Life is calling, otherwise I could do this all day.

Music is my master, and I'm a willing servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment