Thursday, February 16, 2012

Day 46: Let The Blood Flow


I gave blood again today, which sure doesn’t make me unique or special but sure makes feel as much every time I walk out the door after donating. What’s not to like about the experience? A few sticks of the needle are all it takes to do a whole lot of good.

I donated blood the first time in high school but only sporadically thereafter until the past few years or so. (I’m not counting all the visits I made to give plasma; I did that purely for the money.) For reasons I’m not really sure, I got inspired to really make a commitment to donate regularly, and I’ve been making a habit of doing so every 60 days or so since.

Here are a few facts:
  •  The blood I gave today can wind being used in any one of 10 Nebraska health-care facilities.
  •  I donate at this Nebraska Community Blood Bank location; it’s just down the street from my house, so there’s no excuse not to.
  •  If you live in Lincoln, you can find a location near you here.
  •  You can schedule a donation time online here
  •  If you don’t live in Lincoln, visit the America’s Blood Centers or American Red Cross to find a location.
  • Currently, the Nebraska Community Blood Bank reports that transfusions are outnumbering donations, and “the community’s blood supply is sitting at a dangerously low level.”
  • This remarkable donor has given 75 gallons of blood. Amazing. 

 If you are already a regular donor or this has motivated you in any way to start, Like this post on Facebook or leave a comment and I’ll give you a well-deserved shootout. If you donate but don’t want to call attention to yourself, kudos to you and keep it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment