Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day 52: The Gift Of Realizing The Gift



I might play the role of a part-time philosopher now and again, but I don't have any better idea of what the meaning of life is than probably 99% of the rest of the population does. What I do know is that I'm alive today. That's the most important aspect of my life now and tomorrow and until I die. I'm alive, and that makes all other things possible. Don't take that for granted. Don't fail to appreciate the gift. Don't fail to recognize the potential that the gift provides. Pay proper respect to the people, places, ideas, tears, laughs, and more that the gift introduces. Make the gift my own. Make the gift your process. This is mandatory.

Sometimes, it takes a struggle or uncertainty or questioning one's self to reaffirm that this magic exists and is always at work. It takes being stood up straight to be reminded that the gift wants to work for me. I think I've always been pretty good at noticing the small details present in any given day, but I haven't always been good about using those details and applying them to a larger purpose. I was reminded of this today. I was reminded that defining a life's purpose should be up to the individual, not others. The personal work I produce should have meaning to me and stem from me and reside in me. If it resonates in others, that's a glorious bonus. If not, the work and the journey required to produce it are still worthwhile and of value because it involved growth and realizations and truth.

Some days, it takes reality spitting in my face, mocking me, taunting me, and challenging me to get me off the mat and fight back and re-establish priorities, to be able to witness true "essence." I'm always up for a good fight, but I'm learning that I don't have to win the fight this second. Some battles are long and drawn out and painful. Today, I was reminded that pain isn't evil. I was reminded that pain can motivate. Confusion can result in beauty. Uncertainty can pay dividends. Today, I was reminded that the process is where I really grow, if I choose to participate. I can read or listen to how others arrived at their purpose, but there are lessons lost in that approach. Being a bystander is ultimately senseless if you're unwilling to apply what you've seen and learned.

Every day, the question I should be put forth is, "Do I choose to participate?" If so, get to it. If not, ask what are you afraid of? What are the barriers? Where do the obstacles lie? Then, how do I work past the fright, overcome the barriers, and knock down the obstacles? But always I must realize the opportunity to do so is a gift. Always a gift.  

No comments:

Post a Comment