Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Day 65: Women Have The Power





Over the years, I’ve gotten on a lot of mailing lists from a lot of organizations that do good work. Among these groups are those that are socially and politically motivated. Others are environmentally inclined, and others still are groups that work to benefit wildlife, the homeless, the hungry, and so on. I get on a lot of mailing lists because I want to know what the respective groups have to say on the topics and how it falls in line with what I feel and believe. Admittedly, I tend to lean left on most matters, and among the groups barraging my inboxes on a daily basis are groups that lean the same way, but there are also plenty of groups I keep tabs on that sit squarely in the middle and that bend toward the right.

In the last week or so, my various email inboxes have been inundated with requests to sign one petition or another renouncing the Republican’s current “attack on women.” Most of the groups have specifically requested that I add my name to other names who have denounced the words uttered by Rush Limbaugh and that call for repercussions for those words spoken, including that advertisers of his radio show pull their business and that Clear Channel Communications pull his show completely from the airwaves.

Understandably, a good many of the groups that I have received requests from have been penned by women who are upset and fed up, women who feel a line has been crossed, and women who feel it’s time to strike back. I don’t expect this movement to tamper off any on through the Presidential election, and I won’t be surprised to see the topic debated at some point.

I'm not here to tell anyone what to think or believe about women. I'm not here to act as some kind of protector or a voice for women because they are more than capable of doing that themselves. Here's what I am here to do: declare my love and respect for women in general. 


like women. I love some women. I respect women as equals. I respect women for their god-given gifts. I respect women for being every much the thinkers, shakers, doers, motivators, contributors, developers, inventors, and supporters as any man. I've had women as friends, managers, bosses, co-conspirators, teachers, professors, advisers, confidantes, and just about every other facet of life you can think of. I married a strong, independent woman, and I wouldn't have it another way. I'm raising girls who I hope will turn out to be just as equally strong and independent. It pains me, though, to know they'll likely run into narrow-minded, pigeonholing men who detract their abilities purely because of their gender.  


Substitute "women" for "people" in these lyrics appropriately penned by Patti Smith in “People Have The Power," and you get a sense of my hope for my own girls. 

People Have The Power

I was dreaming in my dreaming 
of an aspect bright and fair 
and my sleeping it was broken 
but my dream it lingered near 
in the form of shining valleys 
where the pure air recognized 
and my senses newly opened 
I awakened to the cry 
that the people / have the power 
to redeem / the work of fools 
upon the meek / the graces shower 
it's decreed / the people rule 

No comments:

Post a Comment