Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 69: Drawing and photography




There are two things I really like doing but am not terribly good at:: drawing and taking photographs. I fancy myself to have an artistic eye where photography is concerned, but my "eye" really is regulated to recognizing good photographs and not being able to take them. I see good opportunities for shots, but my execution is lacking. My daughter, conversely, sees and executes. My drawing skills, meanwhile, are rudimentary at best and pathetic otherwise.

Thing is, I'm OK with being sub-par where these are concerned. It's the process that I'm more concerned with. Always the process. Drawing serves as a relief. Relief from stress. Relief from responsibility. Relief from having to pay attention. Relief from reality. Anything is possible, and everything is acceptable. There is no wrong or right. There is no such thing as pushing things too far. Drawing is freedom.

Photography forces me to be in the moment. Of the moment. With the moment. Photography is a chance to participate without being the focus. Photography is a chance to explore a different perspective and relate that perspective. Photograph is a chance to be of an event but not be part of the event. A chance to perceive your surroundings and tell a story.

I'm fairly certain that for as long as my hands can remain steady and my eyes focus on an object, I'll continue drawing and take photographs. I'll admit that it doesn't hurt when something I've created or shot is recognized in some way, but that's the gravy. The potatoes is being involved, being of something without being the something.




No comments:

Post a Comment