Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 97: Candy

The first truck load of Easter candy entered the house today courtesy of grandma and grandpa. Why are so many holidays tied to candy? Halloween, of course, but also Easter and Valentine's Day. Christmas is full of candy, tool. Not that I'm complaining or looking to change anything. I dig candy. In fact, I dig candy a lot. Always have. Always will. I love the supersized boxes of Nerds, Gobstoppers, and everything else that has become the rage at gas stations and grocery stores. Long gone are the days when one candy bar could hold a guy over all day. Today, it's all about the King Size! I'm all for it, when I'm the one eating it. Not so cool when it's a four-year-old chomping down.

Candy plays tricks on people. It makes the excited and happy. It also makes them greedy and devious. Little kids hate sharing their candy. It's like gold they need to hang on to. My daughter has already hidden her's under her bed so her sisters won't find it. Beautiful. Personally, I've always like to make my candy last. If I was eating a Salted Nut Roll back in the day, I ate one peanut at a time until all I had left with the nougat, which I ate one nibble at a time. Eating a Reese's Peanut Butter Bar meant starting around the outside and working my way around until I got to the middle. An efficient but wonderful approach that could keep my occupied for 15 minutes or so. I've never had much success making Sprees last. They're too damn good. I am an expert at getting every last lick out of a sucker, though.

Candy is a gift from some beautiful inventors who knew how to make kids lives for more enjoyable. I know all the downsides, but for Pete's sake, there are so many downsides to live to begin with, why ruin the fun by keeping something away from your child that's sincerely going to put a smile on their cavity-ridden face.

No comments:

Post a Comment