Monday, May 7, 2012

Day 127: Give Me Your Money; You Won't Regret It




Today, I signed up for the People's City Mission Run For The Homeless event. This is the event's fourth year but the second that I'll participate. I couldn't be happier and more proud to do so. 


By far, participating last year was one of the most gratifying and positive things I've done in many, many years that had nothing to do at all with me. With the help of the two adults in the photo above (my beautiful wife and my partner in crime/best friend), we raised more than $1,600 for the homeless population of Lincoln, NE. Alone, my friends and families and co-workers and so many others helped me raise $1,000-plus. It was more than I ever expected, and honestly, it opened my mind and heart to how positive and giving not only people in general can be but the people that I've surrounded myself with specifically. I've done well in my life picking and choosing those who I've let in. They're good, decent, kindhearted individuals who take generosity and compassion seriously. 


There's something inherently good about giving. It's just right. It's warming and soothing and endearing. It's spiritual. It is the essence of life and being human and humane. There really is something special about looking those you're helping right in the eyes and knowing why the effort is worth it and knowing why there's no thanks needed after the deed has been done. 


Over the years, I've given to a lot of causes that I believe in and that I am proud to support, but my giving was always done on a somewhat impersonal level. Write a check. Make an online donation. Pay my annual dues to a given organization and let the group's leaders decide where the donation should go. In recent years, though, I think I've realized that just opening up the pocketbook isn't enough. Giving and forgetting isn't enough. Giving has to be more. It has to be about participating. At least for me, giving has to involve effort. Whether it's serving meals, ringing a bell at Christmas, or putting on the running shoes, giving through action is a gift that I'm learning I'm actually giving myself. It tying me to something so much bigger and so much more important than myself. 


The absolute best part of getting participating in last year's Run For The Homeless event was days after the run was over and I visited the mission, I saw firsthand where the donations my friends and family made were going and, more importantly, saw the people who that money would be directly helping. 


Through the work ethic and love and devotion of my parents, I never went without a bed to sleep in growing up, and through the love of friends and family, I've never faced the prospect of having to wonder even one night that if needed, could I find a place to lay my head? Through the ability to make a living and afford a home, my children have never had to face that prospect, either, and I'm beyond thankful for that. 


Life is just too short not to do for others. It's too short and we're too fortunate not to get off our asses and get into gear. If you're in a position of privilege, there's just no excuse not to put your talents and resources back into a bad situation that you can help offer some relief toward. I know fully well that I'm not going to solve Lincoln's homeless problem, but the through the money my friends and family generously parted with last year, we collectively helped provide hundreds of meals to men and women and children that otherwise wouldn't have had the means. 


I'm thankful for the life I have and the luxuries I've been able to afford. I've worked hard for them, but I've also been blessed and privileged in countless ways through the years that had nothing to do with me that made as much possible. I'm thankful to help be able pass some of that fortune on to others, if even in a small way. 


If you'd like to donate, do so by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment