Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 155: Dancing



Way back in 1985, guess who was voted the Best Dancer in his senior class? That’s right, good people, yours truly. (I was also voted as Best Dressed and Best Hair, so you can take that distinction for what it’s worth.) These days, my dance steps basically amount to bobbing my right knee a couple of times and then alternating with a couple bobs to the left. I might mix in a spin move once every few measures just to keep my dancing partner honest, but that’s about it. Fred Astaire I ain’t. But I sure enjoy the hell out of watching people dance, especially little kids.

This past weekend I watched my four-year-old dance her heart out song after song along with her little cousins. She has some moves, too. I like her little Beyonce “All The Single Ladies” hand shake the best, but she can twirl a nice circle and do a little Hip-Hop bounce that pretty tight, as well. What I liked most, though, was how much fun she was having, and how for even a little bit getting caught up in the dancing going on brought her out of the shell she tends to stick in from time to time around strangers. Even better were the smiles that her and her little cousins brought to all the other faces watching them.

The next morning, as she and I took a walk together around the neighborhood, I asked her why she didn’t save a dance for her old man. She said, “all that dancing wiped me out.” I can accept that. I’ll get my dance with her later on. For now, I’m content watching her live it up from afar, especially if it keeps me off the dance floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment