Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 167: Inspiration

I think it's funny sometimes where you draw inspiration from. This morning, for example, I'm running a 5K, and for whatever reason, I'm struggling a bit. Couldn't bring myself to breathe really easily and was just fighting to maintain any kind of focus for whatever reason. Ahead of me were plenty of people I could have looked to and try to have caught, or at least looked to and tried to keep up with. But I didn't really. I was just letting them get away without much fight. I was having enough trouble putting my own steps one in front of the other without worrying about their steps, too. But then something weird happened, as it always does when I'm in situations like these. As I rounded this particular turn and started making my way back to the starting point, I came across an older man running who wasn't in shape, didn't look like your stereotypical runner, and looked to be struggling just as badly as me. But man, he had attitude. Big, black headband holding his glasses in place. Old black shoes hitting the ground with determination. And a look of joy on his face that was unmistakable. Man, I saw that look and just felt good. As much I was wanted to turn in a good time and do well for myself, it didn't really matter anymore. At that point, seeing that man competing and not giving up told me everything I needed to be thinking in a split second. I needed to worry less about keeping up and worry less about thinking about what I should be doing or what I was doing wrong and just worry about why I was doing it. Why was I there? Why was it important? And what was each step getting me?

I was there for a cause, to raise money for the homeless population in my city. It was important because every person without a home is every much a person as those with homes. They have dignity that needs paid attention to. They have problems that they can't take care of themselves. And they are our fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, our children, and our friends. Each step was getting me closer to the reality that I'm part of a big world that should be less about my group or your group or my wants and your needs but more about what can help us all get through each day with some happiness and fulfillment. What a lesson. What a morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment