Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 190: Doing Battle With The Beast


Some days you find out what you’re made of, or at least you find out what you can tolerate. Today was one of those days. I took a vacation day Friday, which pretty much guaranteed that Monday would be hell.

My job isn’t one in which the guy sitting next to me is able to just pick up the pieces when I’m gone and cover me for. Nope, everything I leave behind is waiting for me when I get back. Either I do it before I go or I better be prepared to weather the storm when I return. Both options are tricky to navigate sometimes, and both options present their own unique snags.

So, I knew what I was in for this morning upon returning to my desk. What I didn’t know was that I’d be tackling it with a killer headache that would last all day, and I didn’t know how many more little morsels would fall on my plate throughout the day to tackle. Such is the nature of the beast.

Still, despite everything I was staring down, I managed to pull away long enough at lunch to get in a run (with headache in tow), return to the battlefield, and finish everything I needed to--plus some.

I set my expectations fairly high where some things are concerned. Others not so much. Where work is related, though, I don’t like to turn in crap. The words I write represent me, and I like to be well-represented. The people who I consider good at the same job I do don’t turn in crap, either. That’s a good trait to have. It’s also one that requires commitment. That’s not bad, either. But that doesn’t mean that obtaining such a level of commitment isn’t taxing at times, and it sure doesn’t mean it isn’t challenging. Meet the various challenges that the day throws at you, however, and you’ll walk out the door feeling better than you did walking in, no matter how mentally fatigued or physically exhausted you are. That’s the nature of that beast.

So in summation, beast, we met again today. You lost. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you again soon, though, and you can take your best shot again. I’m not hard to find, sucka.

No comments:

Post a Comment