Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 195: Jens Pulver

I don't make any secret about my love for MMA. I've written about that love before, trying to explain what it is I see in the kicks, punches, and knees. I'm starting to think people either get it or they don't. Some people never get past the "violence." Those that do understand there's more going on than just two guys beating each other senseless inside a cage. I could spent the next five years trying to describe what exactly it is that's going on, at least the way I see it, but I really believe if someone is even really remotely interested in understand Mixed Martial Arts, and martial arts in general, they're better off doing some research and reading first. Read a few biographies of some of the legends. Watch a few documentaries about the sport. Go beyond the posters and movies featuring Bruce Lee and read his writings, listen to his lectures. Put on your philosophical hat for a few hours and listen to their words. Consider their life journeys. View where they came from, where they are, and where they want to be. Martial arts isn't about the violence or kicking someone's ass. It's about honor. Discipline. Focus. Insight. Integrity. For some individuals, it's an avenue out of a horrible situation.

Jens Pulver is someone who belongs in the latter camp. Read his about his background and you'll know how martial arts more or less saved his life. How wrestling first was his savior and then striking, kickboxing, Jiu-Jitsu, and other disciplines saved him later. I've always admired Jens Pulver, for being a world champion and pioneer in the sport, but more so for the straight-forward manner in which he discussed his "childhood from hell" and the daily beatings his alcoholic father put on him and his mother and brothers. I always admired the strength and tenacity he demonstrated in not letting that past swallow him up. I admired his willingness to also show weakness and vulnerability. To not just utter a big "F*ck you!" to a father who was never there in any way but a monster, but to admit it hurt not having his father there as a father. To admit how much it would have meant, and admit that even today he would have cared for such a relationship.

But reading about someone's history and hearing them tell it in first person are two different things. The other week I watched a documentary called "Driven" that centered on Pulver and his past, present, and future. I shed tears several times. I felt some agony, too. I also became inspired and motivated to find someone stronger within myself. The truth is, Jens Pulver has had to fight on way too long and has probably taken on way too much damage to his body and spirit. He can't afford to quit, and he's not good enough anymore to keep going on. His life is shaping up to be a tragic beginning and tragic ending. Still, I can't help to think that someone martial arts will somehow enable him to find a pleasant ending, whether it's teaching the benefits of combat sports to others or helping him find peace of mind.

At any rate, my love of martial arts has only grown more and more over the years. I wish more people understand the truth behind the violence, but that's their journey and responsibility to take on if they desire. There's much to find, however, if the effort is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment