Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 313: Here's To Harvey Hilbert & Veterans Everywhere


Harvey Hilbert served in the Army infantry during the Vietnam War. He was injured in battle and saw a man in his unit killed. "You know, I'm 65 years old, and I can remember clearly that young man — the color of his skin, his face, his cries," Hilbert told StoryCorps.


"You know, there's a legacy of war that lasts forever."



It seems lately, every Friday morning there's a good chance  I'm going to have a good cry before I even reach work. If you listen to NPR on Friday mornings, you probably  know why. That when "Morning Edition" features an interview from StoryCorps, and more often than not the interviews are beyond poignant and beyond moving. So moving, the tears soon start to flow. This morning, they flowed. 

If you're not listening to StoryCorps, you should. The stories the organization presents are those from everyday people like you and me. These aren't celebrities or pundits or someone with an agenda. They're just people who have experienced something we can all appreciate. 

Here's how StoryCorps describes itself: 

StoryCorps is an independent nonprofit whose mission is to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives. Since 2003, StoryCorps has collected and archived more than 40,000 interviews from nearly 80,000 participants. Each conversation is recorded on a free CD to share, and is preserved at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress. 

Today, StoryCorps brought us the story of Harvey Hilbert. As I  expected he might, Harvey made me cry. I know next to nothing about Harvey Hilbert, but after this morning, I feel like I want to know more. I feel as if I at least want to extend my hand and say, "It's been a pleasure meeting you." I somehow feel entitled to do as such. That's how much Harvey Hilbert moved me. I'm sure the same is true of most people who know a veteran or are historically familiar with war. The stories are epic. Heroic. Tragic. Intense. Tear inducing.

Ahead of Veterans' Day on Sunday, Harvey's story is one worth listening to. It's one worth remembering. It's one worth sharing. It's one that's definitely worth paying respect to. 

Unfortunately, there are too many Harvey Hilberts in the world. Too many men and women who have been wounded physically and mentally in combat. Too many who have had to endure pain the rest of their lives after returning home. Too many who have had to live with the fact that many of their friends and comrades didn't make it home. 

If for no other reason that their pain and their sacrifice and their commitment and the incredibly bravery their summoned up to put their lives on the line before, during, and after combat, they deserve our appreciation and respect. 

Listen to Harvey Hilbert's story here

Read Harvey Hilbert's story here

No comments:

Post a Comment