Monday, December 3, 2012

Day 337: My Necklace

I'm  kind of big on symbols. Not so much in the way that I want everyone to know that I stand for something (the way a symbol on a T-shirt or hat might do) or that I want people to associate me with the symbol (although I don't mind when people see the NY on my hat and know I'm a Yankee fan). I’m big into symbols more rather for what they remind me that I want to be or at least try to be.


Over the years, I’ve toted two symbols around wherever I go on a necklace. The first one I added over a decade ago. It's a pretty common Hindu symbol representing the sun or the god Surya (“the Supreme Light”), depending on which way you look at it. Some of the references often attached to the symbol include “radiance” and “power,” and both of those are why I was attracted to it initially and ultimately slung it around my neck. I’d like to think I’m in pursuit of both qualities in the most positive sense. 

The second symbol is a cross that I got from my parents after I was baptized. Unlike a lot of people who are baptized while still children, I was deep into my 30s before I did the honors. I took the plunge along with a handful of kids in the church, and it still ranks as one of my proudest and most fulfilling days ever. I love this cross. What it signifies in general is pretty well known. For me, though, beyond the faith, strength, belief, love, honor, integrity, and other traits commonly attached to it, the cross reminds me of my parents, family, and my own journey both with them and away from them on my own.

Over this past weekend, I added a third symbol to the necklace. While in a small shop, I ran across this little twirling stand on which hung a bunch of small circles, each with a word or phrase engraved on it. You see these kinds of displays all over, offering maybe a small rock or slab of flat metal or some other surface on which someone has etched, painted, or engraved the word “Integrity” or “Honor” or “Peace” or “Love” or what have you. 

I've always liked the idea of the circle representing the universe and perpetual motion and infinity. I like the idea of a word on the circle that translates an ideal I'm striving to practice perpetually even better. The Japanese enso, for example, is one of my favorite symbols of all, both for its simplicity and for the search for enlightenment that it represents. 

So, after spending what seemed like a lifetime trying to decide which word I wanted engraved on the little circle I planned to sling around my neck and carry and then strive to reach for, I finally chose “Patience.”

“Patience” seemed to speak to me with the most vigor. I haven’t been practicing it all that well of late, and it’s one of the qualities I admire and respect the most in those who exhibit it on a continual basis. Patience can mean a lot of things, I suppose, including patience with ourselves, patience with others, practicing patience while await meaning to come, and so on. Honestly, I’m pretty much in need of patience in all those respects and numerous others. I'm happy with the choice, but now comes the hard part--actually putting it into practice. 

Today, as I was running, I could hear the three little pieces of metal around my neck all clinking together on the chain I’ve worn around my neck year after year after year. The noise sounded good. I liked the way it resonated. I like the music it made to my ears. I think they'll work well together.



No comments:

Post a Comment