Thursday, December 6, 2012

Day 340: Cheerleaders

I've known cheerleaders. Dated cheerleaders. Cheered from the stands with cheerleaders. Watched them dance. Watched them march in homecoming parades. Watch them lead pep rallies. Watched them throw pom poms in the air and catch them. Watched them yell through megaphones, build pyramids, do the splits, pump their arms in karate thrusts, and wear big, fat smiles on command. 

I've heard cheerleaders yell, "Go Big Blue!" "Go Big Red! and "Go Big Every Other Color Under The Sun." I liked it when they sang, "We are the Bluejays, mighty, mighty Bluejays!" Not so much when they went "BANANAS!" or bragged that "We got spirit, yes we do!" I loved it when they taunted the all-boy schools with "We have girls, yes we do. We have girls, how about you?" My ego really like when they cheered my named: "S-I-N-K, sink it, Blaine, sink it!" 

But truth be told, there's so much about cheerleaders and cheerleading that I don't know or understand. 

Last night, I was reminded of cheerleaders. My kid is a freshman and in her first year of high school basketball. That means for the first time since she started playing organized ball at five years old, there are cheerleaders at her games. Hearing and seeing them while simultaneously watching her play was kind of alarming to my senses in a weird way, but also kind of cool. Watch a game with cheerleaders on the sidelines and then one without and you definitely notice there's something missing when they're absent. It's a different atmosphere that comes alive when they're filling the gym with their voices. There's a different vibe going on. The action is more alive, more frenetic and chaotic. There's a greater sense of urgency. In a word, the environment is "jumping." 

I have no idea what it is about cheerleading exactly that entices little girls and boys to want to become one. I've never bothered to ask, I guess. I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons that are appealing. I know that some people make fun of cheerleaders. Some people say they don't know why anyone would want to be one. I also know some people are all in where cheerleaders are concerned. They follow every call and response that comes their way. I suppose more than anything, cheerleaders represent tradition where high school sports is concerned. Whatever purpose cheerleaders serve, I'm glad they're there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment