Sunday, December 9, 2012

Day 343: Santa Claus

Today, my daughter and I played Santa Claus. I got to do the honors, which meant that each and every one of her 20 little stuffed animal boys and girls sat on my lap and told me want they wanted for Christmas. For some reason that I'm still trying to understand, all the girls had been naughty this year and all the boys good.

In all honesty, it pained me not to be able to give all the "kids" a toy. I even pleaded with my daughter, who was pretending to be their dad, to rethink her poistion. To think of the kids. "Dad" wouldn't budge, though. So, none of the girls got presents.

It got me thinking that even if Santa does keep a naughty list, how could he possibly not give a kid a present? Is it really a kid's fault that he or she is naughty? Or is it the parent that should be held accountable?

I say the parent. And if that's the case, there really ought to be a Santa figure for parents to hold them in check. Mess your kid up, you get nothing. Beat your kid, you get nothing. Belittle your kid, zip. Same for neglecting, ignoring, and scaring them.

If only.

No comments:

Post a Comment