Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 140: BIll Moyers & Tom Morello

I love being surprised. I love it better when the surprise brings together entities and/or people that I never expected to come together. Today, one of those surprises happened in the form of Bill Moyers speaking with Tom Morello for an hour.

One of the things I really like about my life is that I have a diverse group of friends that provide me with a whole lot of different perspectives. For that reason, I can conceive that about half of my friends knowing who Bill Moyers is and about half knowing who Tom Morello is. Somewhere in the middle there is a smaller group of friends who knows who both men are. An even smaller group probably respects both men as much as I do and  possibly for the same reasons. Man, my greatest wish right now would be to expand that group.

Morello I respect because he lives the type of life that I want to live but don't. He backs his words with actions. He takes to the street. He fights for those who can't fight for themselves. He represents the downtrodden. He's a union man. He's a fighter. He's a agent for change. The fact that he does all this through music, first with Rage Against The Machine and then as The Nightwatchmen only makes him more endearing to me.

Moyers I respect because he tells the stories that need told. His work speaks for itself. His commentary should be mandatory listening and reading. His journalistic pedigree is stellar. Moyers is what media can and should be across the board.

Today on Moyers & Company, Moyers and Morello came together for an hour of conversation. 60 minutes of intelligent dialogue. I would have listened even if I wasn't already a fan, but I am, and their meeting only made me realize what I already knew but seem to put on the back burner periodically: I can and should be doing more. Doing more for the poor. Doing more to battle class warfare. Doing more to make my words heard. Doing more to speak for those who can't be heard. Doing more to make the country I live in and love a more equitable, more tolerant, more free nation for everyone who resides in it, not just those who can afford it.

I'm not sure of the game God plays sometimes, but I truly believe he introduces us to moments he means for us to live. He played all the right moves with me today. Thanks for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment