Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 184: A Half Year Absopositively Well Spent


If my math is correct (and that’s an iffy proposition), I’ve officially passed the half-year mark for the year with this blog and my effort to be positive about at least one thing for at least for period of time each day, no how fleeting that period of time may be. Yep, each and every day in 2012 I set out to explore something positive by writing a post about it, and thus far, I’ve done that. Hell yeah!

Truth be told, while I’d like to say each and every post has been truly filled with positivity, that’s probably not been the case entirely. Every so often, a post has crept in that was probably borderline angry or snarky or entered the realm of being perturbed or annoyed. But the vast majority of the entries, however, I’d say I’ve stuck to my word and written about something that made me feel positive, that I’m positive about, or that I have positive memories or feelings about. And with all sincerity, the experience has been a great one, and I’m honestly looking forward to carrying the effort on through the next half of 2012.

I’d like to believe all the entries were equally good and had something relevant to say, but I know that’s not the case. There have been some days, particularly on the weekends, when just writing, let along writing something specifically that was positive seemed like a burden hanging over my head. Once I got around to doing it though, I can say I’ve honestly put thought into every post I’ve created, even if some of those thoughts have been lazy and some of the posts have sucked. But that’s the nature of writing, or anything else that requires an effort for that matter, not everything you turn out is gold. Some of it is just crap, even when the very best of intentions are behind it. Still, making an effort far outweighs doing nothing at all in my opinion. So, there’s that.

What have I learned halfway through “My Year of Positivity”? For one, I’ve learned that being positive, even if only for a select period of time during a day, definitely has its short-term and long-term benefits. I think, for example, I’m starting to lean toward trying to take the positive route in any given situation vs. the easier “I’m so pissed off right now and I’m going to tell everyone exactly why” road. That isn’t to say that I’m not still capable of being an impetuous ass or a shortsighted hothead or someone who is still prone to stray to the Dark Side. I have been and I do. Still, I think at least I’m learning there isn’t nearly as much merit to be found on that dark side of the road. The view is much nicer over here where patience and reason and understanding are virtues and the glass tends to be half full vs. empty. I’ve also learned that even on those occasions when I don’t react to situations in a positive manner, I at least contemplate after the fact how I could have acted more positively and how that would have looked, and I try to learn from that.

Perhaps the most beneficial aspect of writing posts every day has been the realization that I’ve had a pretty good life really that’s been mostly enjoyable and satisfying. I have a truckload of good memories that I seem to have held onto with a good deal of passion. I don’t think you do that unless you covet your past and you’re thankful for it. I’ve been pretty fortunate really. I’ve been blessed with many good friends and a great family. I think I always knew that, but sometimes it takes slowing down and concentrating on that fact to see really how good you have it. And I have it good in that regard.

Maybe not as important but still satisfying is that by forcing myself to write every day—for myself and not professionally—I’ve relearned how much I love writing and how much it means to me and how much it can do for me. I don’t know how well I execute it, but just having the will to write is a tremendous gift, and I’m beyond thankful for it. A person can work through a lot of angst and pain through words. A person can also document a lot of joy and reverence and devotion and commitment and respect by stringing words together. Some people build furniture. Some people paint. Some people sew. Some people cook. I write to feel good. Man, I’m so thankful to have found that outlet.

If I learn as much in the next six months or so as I did in the first half of 2012 from thinking positive, this is going to be a year very well spent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment