Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 186: Perky People, I Owe You An Apology


Since I can remember, I’ve had a problem with overly cheerful people, the kind of bubbly, effervescent individuals who are seemingly capable of only forming one facial expression: a big, fat, wide smile. These people who bounce into a room and leave it the very same way, who speak with the same twinkly enthusiasm about cleaning the toilet as they do about that gosh darn dog next door that keep them up all night barking, and who find each and every meal as tasty and scrumptious as the last have always grinded painfully on my nerves.

For the longest time, I couldn’t figure out why this was so. “It shouldn’t be this way,” I’ve reasoned. “What’s so wrong with finding delight in so many things?” “What’s the harm in finding brightness in every corner of the world?” “What’s so objectionable to being seemingly peppy and perky and on top of the world all day every day?”

Slowly, I started to form hypotheses about why these people, of which I’ve run across many over the years, seemed to be in such conflict with my own personality. My first conclusion was these people aren’t really as joyous as they let on. They’re overcompensating. They’re deceiving. They’re masking something. They’re faking it to make it. They’re doing the happy dance to trick themselves into believing that they really are that happy when the fact is they're deeply dissatisfied with the lemons that life has handed them but they don't want to admit. Maybe their parents didn't allow them to feel sorry for themselves. Maybe they're just not capable of seeing below the surface. Maybe they don't see any merit or feel there's anything to learn from feeling miserable. 

Another of my all-too wise conclusions has been that these people really don’t stand for anything important. They’re too busy concentrating on the trivial aspects of life to notice things are kind of crappy all over. Oh, they’re seemingly always the first to volunteer and lend a hand and do it with an eager smile, but when it comes to taking a side on real life-altering and possibly conflicting issues, they don't seem eager to. In fact, they never seem to state anything controversial. Why? Because that would mean upsetting someone, and upsetting people isn’t happy.

I've also surmised that these glowing, endlessly enthusiastic souls have seemed to me to  actually be lonely deep down under all that perceived rapture. They seem to be on a solo journey in their happiness. Most of these people, I’ve found, aren’t married or involved in deep, meaningful relationships. Why? Because no one can stand being around that type of a unbridled joy full-time. Or perhaps it’s because that behind closed doors, these perpetual smilers are really a pain in the ass and attempting to live with that type of phoniness isn’t worth it in the end.

These days, I’m pretty much convinced that it hasn’t really been these people that I’ve been in conflict with all along but rather it was me I was conflicted with. In other words, there has been sizable case of jealously at work on my part where these individuals are concerned. I've been bitter that some people are so damn happy. I'm resentful. I envious. I want to know they're damn secrets. 

Maybe they really are that happy and there are perfectly good reasons they’ve seized on to that happiness. Maybe they realize that life is a gift and a treasure, and they don’t squander that gift. Maybe they have a deep and utter conviction in something that’s more powerful then themselves and that realization is a source of endless sunshine and I’m too narrow-minded and blind to see it myself. Maybe these people I’ve judged as being phony are indeed real and it’s me who is the fake. Maybe they’re the smart ones for letting themselves feel things I never made myself available to. Maybe they’re introspective and contemplative and learned in the sense that they know something is afoot that I don’t have the vision to pick up on. Or maybe, they just refuse to be affected by those things that shouldn’t affect us. Their armor is stronger than mine. I’ve found that people who say they don’t a damn what anyone else things, after all, really do.

In any case, I’ve changed my tune somewhat I believe. The reality is that the bubbly ones still aggravate me to a certain extent but I’m willing to investigate if that feeling is really aggravation or really self-loathing. I still have my lingering doubts about these happy souls who have annoyed me over the years, but at least I’m starting to rethink my position and am willing to investigate if there’s a possibility that they indeed are the ones that have it together and I’m the sorry sack that could use some retooling.


No comments:

Post a Comment