Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Day 233: Photographers


For some reason I’ve known quite a few photographers in my life. I think it’s because I’ve subconsciously always wanted to be one myself. Unfortunately, I don’t quite have the chops. I think I have a decent eye, but my technical skills are pretty much crap, at least professionally. That’s why I admire photographers of the real sort so much. They have the eye and they have the skills. The eye is God given to a great extent I believe. The skills aren’t. 

I started reviewing digital cameras, for example, when the very first models arrived on the scene. Those models didn’t have external memory, the resolution was incredibly poor, and they were ultra-expensive. I’ve continue reviewing and working with cameras right on up through today, but my skills have never progressed to the point where adjusting a camera’s settings for different lighting and environments is what I’d call second nature or instinctual. Real photographers don’t have the luxury to struggle through proper settings. Time is money. Time is available light. Time is motion. Time is being in the moment to capture the perfect shot. If you’re not able to manage photographic time, you can’t manage being a true photographer.

At any rate, my inefficiencies as a photographer have never diminished by ability to be a lover of good photography. And although I’m a fan of many photographers who are or have been nationally or internationally known, I really like to view the work of photographers I personally know. By knowing the person behind the camera, you seem to be able to read a little something more into the shots he or she captures. Some of my favorite photographers make a living from photography. Others don’t. They’re just passionate about art in general, and using a camera is one way they execute their art. My friend Jason, for example, isn’t a professional photographer per se, but I think he could be if he wanted. The photo below is his, and it’s an example of why I love photography in general; a good photo conveys a feeling and creates a sensation.




My friend George is a pro. He owns his own studio in North Platte, where he's lived for more than 20 years plying his craft. What I love most about George is that he's self-made. He rode bulls in local Nebraska rodeos to earn the money to buy his first camera, and from there he carved out a path to become a professional. His work has been circulated nationally and international, and today, he makes annual pilgrimages with Habit For Humanity to snap shots of President Carter and others. 

My friend, Nathan, meanwhile, is extremely talented and extremely original. He operates 40 Night Photography, and if you're planning a wedding or just want a kick-ass photo in general, Nathan can deliver and do so in a unique manner. Among my favorite work of Nathan's are shots he took while volunteering in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. They'll move you to tears, just like good photography is apt to do. 


I met my friend Tamra when I was a reporter way back in the day. We often got stuck doing the "Man on the street" gig on the weekend. I'd harass people to answer that week's question, and Tami would take their photos. It was a horrible aspect of the job, and I hated it more and more every week I had to do it. Thank God, Tami made it bearable with her incredibly positive spirit and attitude. I would have killed one of those people otherwise. Tami's photos I think reflect her own personal sweetness. That's a gift, being able to transport yourself into an image. Tami does freelance work, which you can check out here. Watch out, though. Hire her and you're likely to make a lifelong friend. 




I hope they don't mind that I've shared  their work. I just like pointing out talent and quality when I can, especially when I know those responsible for it personally. 



1 comment:

  1. Good one and concur that you have a photographer's eye...but I'm marking you down for bringing "man on the street" memories back from that place where I store all the dark things in my life. Not cool!

    ReplyDelete