Sunday, August 19, 2012

Day 230: Nonstop Love

Since Friday at 5:30 p.m., I've spent roughly 2:30 hours apart from the four-year-old shadow that's been following me everywhere I go, and that time apart was only made possible because I got up far ahead of her this morning and sneaked away to golf. Rest assured, when I returned, so did my shadow. But I don't mind. I love that this kid is so happy to be with her dad she wants to fill up every minute doing something fun. I know this time won't last, and although there are brief periods where I think I'll go insane if I don't get two straight minutes to think an adult thought, I couldn't be more content with the constant show of love she gives me. If I've learned anything from helping raise her older three siblings, it's that this time is so fleeting and is gone before you know it and before you want it to be. And when that time comes, there's no getting it back.

This weekend and last weekend have been particularly intense on one-on-one time with my little toddler. Last weekend her mom worked, and this weekend she was out of town. In that time, we've managed to do a whole lot of coloring and drawing, put together countless puzzles, told countless stories, went to the children's museum, went to a movie, went to the park multiple times, enjoyed a fire in the fire pit complete with smores and hot dogs, read countless books, snacked on popsicles and fruit and candy and hot chocolate and God knows what else, played in the sandbox, and tons more. I'm exhausted at the end of the day, but beyond grateful. I know there are so many people who want nothing more than to have a child of their own to do all these things and more but for whatever reason can't. It seems like every time my little one makes me laugh, which is all the time, I realize as much and take great thanks for my luck. Most days, I feel as if this kid gives me far more than I could ever give her.  

1 comment:

  1. My shadow and I have been playing a lot of "War" lately. She loves to win, hates to lose.

    ReplyDelete