Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 255: The Neverending Story

It's pretty amazing watching your child grow up right before your eyes. This wonder seems to happen to me all the time, and I'm so thankful. I particularly like seeing my kids come into their own when they're in the younger years. My four-year-old, for example, is watching "The Neverending Story" right now as I type. Each time I look across the room, I see her sink deeper and deeper into the fantastic world being displayed for her. I can see her amazement rise a little bit with each second. I can see the awe and fear and sadness effect her in various ways, including some I've never witness in her before. I can see her react to each occurrence. It's brilliant. Every so often she offers commentary to me. She gives me her reasoning and tells me what she thinks of the characters, pointing out their strengths and flaws as she sees them. I'm fully content to just watch her and not give myself even a second to enjoy the film myself. Watching her react is the better picture, honestly.

If you don't stop to just watch your kids once in awhile, really watch, you're missing out on probably life's greatest gift. You're missing out on watching yourself because sooner or later you will show up in your kids' actions and thoughts. How they react to events will greatly be impacted how you do. How they judge will greatly by influence by how you judge. What they find humorous and how they display their own humor will greatly follow yours. How they confront fear and challenges and pain will very much pattern how you do yourself. When I recognize a weakness in myself that I'm fully aware of and then see it manifest itself in my child, it pains me deeply. Conversely, when I see them rise up to an occasion and tackle an obstacle without fear in a way that I might or I see them practice patience in a manner they might have seen me do, I'm filled with a pride. It makes me feel as if I'm doing something right. I'm doing something worthwhile. I'm doing something that's worth continuing. 

Right now as my kid lays on the couch and takes part in "The Neverending Story," I'm thankful I can watch her and take part in her world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment