Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 294: My Running Playlist

I wonder sometimes what running would have been like way back in high school if I would have been able to listen to music while I ran. All those runs out to that church and beyond in the country or out along the Guard Camp Road probably would have been a hell of a lot more enjoyable with some tunage in my ears. Back then, I either sang or talked to myself to help  the time pass. 

Today, I pretty much count on my headphones and iPhone to help me survive during a run, and survive is excellently what I try to do. I'm far from an accomplished runner, and I need all the help I can get. The few times that I've run without my audio companions were miserable for the most part, probably because all I could hear was the disgusting amount of panting for breath I was doing. 

When it comes to what I listen to exactly, most runs I just press Shuffle before I head out and call it good. Some days, though, I rely on a good ole' playlist to get me through. Usually I reserve playing the playlist on a run when I need to take a strategic course of attack, like when I know I'm going to (attempt) to run longer than normal and am going to need the added motivation. Today was such a day. 

I actually put a lot of thought into making playlists. I always have going back to the two-deck tape cassette days. Loved the playlist, and I haven't found a situation that can't benefit from a group of songs painstakingly culled together by someone who cares about such things. It's probably why one of my top five movies is "High Fidelity." I was the cat back in the day who carefully crafted mixed tapes. Put the right songs in the right places, created the right ebb and flow when they were needed, matched the song to the given atmosphere or environment, and did it with finesse and passion. Or at least I liked to fancy myself as being able to. 

Nearly as much as making playlists, I like seeing the songs other people put on their's. I've wasted a fairly shocking amount of time throughout the years doing just that. 

I've made several playlists specifically for running, but I have one that's my go-to. It's the one I pull out when desperate times call for desperate measures, which is pretty much always. So with that, for the curious, here's what the top 10 consists of, but honestly there's plenty more where this came from: 

1. "Battery," Metallica -- This starts things off with a surge, and I need it, because it's in those first two or so minutes that I really want to quit running before I really get started. This gives me the thrust not to. Mucho energy right off the bat to set the tone. Favorite lyric: "Pounding out aggression / Turns into obsession / Cannot kill the battery" Spot on, James. Spot on. 

2. "Bloody Mother Fuckin Asshole," Martha Wainwright--This song's lyrics make me think (and believe) that no one is going to do a damn thing for you unless you do for yourself first, so get off your arse and start doing it. Favorite lyric, "You say my time here has been some sort of joke/That I've been messing around/Some sort of incubating period/ For when I really come around."  

3. "Remedy," The Black Crowes--By now, my head, lungs, and legs are starting to hurt a little bit, but worse, my mind is starting to get pissed at me for putting my body through this. This song helps me remember that this running stuff is supposed to be fun. Seeing the Crowes live is about as much fun as a person can have in my book. So putting two and two together isn't too difficult as the Robinson brothers start coming through my earbuds. Favorite lyric, "If I come on like a dream?/Would you let me show you what I mean?"

4. "God Made Me Funky," The Headhunters--This is just one of my all-time favorite songs, and truthfully, I'd listen to it any time of day or night no matter the scenario. When I'm running, though, I need a little God in my life, and this is the source. Favorite lyric, "He says God can give you anything you want. Anything you want." 

5. "Who Are You," The Who--Typically, by the time this song comes on, I'm just about through climbing a fairly big hill not far from our house. Around about the time Roger Daltry is asking me, Who the fuck are you?" I like to be able to answer him, "I'm the sonofabitch that just climbed that hill." Favorite lyric, "11 hours in the tin pan, God there has to be another way." 

6. "The Walls Came Down," The Call--I can't even guess the number of times I've stuck a song by The Call on a mixed tape. This band was a huge, huge part of my formative years, and for good reason--they kicked ass. The band's "I Don't Wanna" is just about my favorite song ever, but I love this one nearly as much, and when I'm running, it makes me forget how flipping old I am. Songs are magical in how they can transport you to another time and place. I've come to count on it. Favorite lyric, "I don't think there are any Russians / And there ain't no Yanks/ Just corporate criminals / Playin' with tanks." 

7. "Walk," Pantera -- If you've heard the song, you know why this one is on the list. It's a fighting song. It's a song for calling suckers out, including myself. Favorite lyrics, "Is there no standard anymore? What it takes, who I am, where I've been / Belong." Sometimes, a man has to look himself in the eye and call his own bluff. That's why I like this song.

8. "Ms. Jackson" and "B.O.B.", OutKast--Right about now I'm entering my hip-hop phase of the run. I don't know why, but hip-hop gives me fuel. These two songs make me think about other things than running, which I desperately need because when I start to  obsess about something, like how tired I am, I'm done for. "Ms. Jackson" makes me think about my kids and my wife and I all in the car on some long car ride singing this together or the times when my older girls were younger and we danced like fools. "B.O.B." is just one of the best constructed hip-hop songs ever made, and it's electric. Favorite lyric, ""You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather, Ms. Jackson." 

9. "Made You Look," Nas--I love the ferocity of this track. The swagger. The confidence. It definitely translates when you're concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other. Step after step. Beat after beat. Favorite lyric, "This ain't rappin, this is street-hop. Now get off your ass like your seat's hot." 

10. "Gravel Pit," The Wu Tang Clan --Another song that's just among my favorite ever. It also has the grooviest, tightest bass lines. If you can't dance to this song, you just can't dance, so quit trying. When I'm running, this just makes me smile, and that's never a bad thing when you're struggling. On a couple of occasions when I've been running and this song is playing, I've passed an elderly man or lady out getting their exercise. It's makes me laugh when I think about stopping just long enough to hand them an earbud and get in on Method Man, the RZA, Old Dirty Bastard, and the rest of the Clan. Favorite lyric, "Remember what Old Dirty said, 'I'll fuck your ass up!'" 

No comments:

Post a Comment