Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 296: Say It Before It's Too Late

Today, a friend said something to me that was about as positive and reinforcing and meaningful as anything that anyone has said to me in recent memory. More or less, he simply said "thanks for being a good friend." 

I don't know about you, but that's not a real common occurrence in my life. I'd like to think that's not because I'm a crappy friend but more due to it just being difficult for a lot of people to let one another know how they feel. That includes me. 

By default, I'm not vulnerable and open in that way. I understand the reasons why, but it doesn't mean I like it or even necessarily accept it. It typically takes something fairly monumental for me open up like that. Well, unless I have a few pops in me, and then it gets pretty easy. But that's unfortunate because I shouldn't need to be liquored up to hand out an "atta boy" more often. 

When questioned what brought my friend's sudden and unsolicited outpouring of gratitude about, he said because he was reminded that essentially, we sometimes think we've been gifted with more time than we actually have left to spend. In other words, say those things you should be saying anyway before it's too late. 

So, with that in mind: 

  • Family, I love you all and appreciate you always. 
  • Friends, ditto. Many of you helped shape me, and I don't mind saying I don't think you did too shabby in most regards. (In others, I still have much to learn from you.)
  • Mentors, thanks for setting me straight and showing me the light. 
  • Teachers, thanks for helping me read, write, and reason. Among the three most important gifts that I've received. 
  • Coaches, thanks for toughening up my skin and kicking me in the ass when I needed it. I can take criticism when it's deserved, and you're largely the reason why.  
  • Reverend, thanks for helping guide me spiritually, morally, and ethically. 
  • Enemies, thanks for showing me what's truly important and truly insignificant. 
  • Doubters, thanks for inspiring me to become more than I would have been. 
  • The obnoxious and self-centered, thanks for showing me how not to act. 
  • Myself, thanks for not giving up. 
Thanks for the reminder, D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment