Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Day 352: Sunday, Feb. 5, 2012

Feb. 5, 2012, the day I failed to publish a post to this blog. 

Feb. 5, 2012, you haunt me. I set out this year to make a post each and every day of 2012 with the intent of documenting something positive. Something appreciative. Something hopeful in scope. I haven't managed to meet those expectations fully. Some days, I got sidetracked with current events, my current mood, my current situation, etc. and wrote about frustration or sorrow or what have you. But by and large, I have stuck to the game plan. I have made a post with a positive spin to it each and every day. Except Feb. 5, 2012. 

For weeks now, I've been searching for that lost day, but to no avail. I couldn't find it. Coming into today, the number of posts that I've published totaled 351. The number, however, should have been 352. I looked high and low for the discrepancy longer than I care to remember, but it eluded me. Until today. Finally, today I found the little bastard. Feb. 5, 2012. That's the day I failed to make a post. 

I'd like to think that I actually wrote a positive-filled post that day and just failed to publish it, but I honestly can't remember. It's been too long, and I'm too old to expect to recall specifics about yesterday let alone months ago. Maybe the hour grew late on that day, I got bleary-eyed and reckless, and by some accident deleted the draft I was stringing together instead of published it. But I can't say for certain. 

So I did a little investigating. Feb. 5, 2012 was a Sunday. Guess what it also was? That's right, the Superbowl. Ah, now it's all coming back to me. New England vs. The Giants. I watched in the living room. I was in severe multi-tasking mode, watching the game while also playing with my daughter. The game was a good one. I'm sure I watched until the end. I know I was happy with the outcome. But did I write something that day? I don't know. Like the Patriots I came up short. 

Damn, it. 

What happened to you Feb. 5, 2012, I'm sorry I lost you. I'm sorry I let you down. I should have been there for you. I should have paid you more attention. I wish I could make it up to you, but you're long gone. You're history. I squandered you. I took you for granted. I've learned my lesson. I apologize. 

No comments:

Post a Comment