Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Day 353: Nebraska Winters


Tomorrow, the weather gurus are predicting that the snow will fly crazy mad where I live. The winds will blow with hopped-up force, too, they say. Conditions will get nasty, the temperatures will dip, and there will be an excitement in the air that’s been missing in my neck of the woods for too long.

The snow gods have not been good to us here as of late, and we’ve noticed. I’ve noticed. Winters in Nebraska should be snow-filled. They should be white. They should be icy and treacherous. They should be bitter and biting. Winters in Nebraska should be as harsh as the summers in Nebraska are. Winters in Nebraska without snow aren’t really winters in Nebraska. They’re like a circus without clowns, incomplete. That’s the kind of winters we’ve seemingly had too much of in Nebraska lately.

Don’t get me wrong. I hate the winter. I hate everything about it, other than the snow. The snow I love. I always have. I hate being cold. I hate scrapping frost off of windshields. I hate wearing sweaters. I hate having to wear a stocking cap inside to keep my bald head warm. I hate long johns and gloves. I hate ice. I hate snowplows. I hate it all. But if I’m going to live in Nebraska, give me snow. I love the snow.

I love the isolation that only a long, contemplative walk in snowy woods can offer.

I love the goofy energy that my dogs get when the snow is drifting down. I love watching them burn that energy off by romping through the white stuff, bearing those noses as deep as they can, and tearing through one drift to get to the next.

I love the romanticism that is a snow floating from the skies on a winter night.

I love the grace of a lilting snow falling on my face with the backdrop of the black sky up above.

I love the magic luminance that the street lights conjure up.

I love the way the sun dances like a child on the newly created banks in the morning.

I love the snow.

That’s why I’m looking forward to tomorrow, when inches and inches of the fluff are expected to congregate. My memories that involve snow are good ones and they’re numerous. Like the ones of sledding as a kid south of Ashland, past the grocery store, past the Giles’ house, and into the canyon where at the bottom of the hill you had better duck your head or risk having your dome taken off by the barbed-wire fence waiting menacingly down there for children to approach.

Memories like coming home from college with my friends, only for a blizzard to force us to hole up inside—with no alcohol, with no girls in proximity, and with no way to escape.

Memories like sledding on the hill near Wiggenhorn Park with the scores of other kids who had the same idea. Run after run we’d make, all in complete and utter safety thanks to the good-minded town leaders who blocked off the hill from traffic.

Memories like the hill directly beside my own house, where for the last 10 years all of my children at some point have zoomed down, fallen down, rolled down, and tumbled down, laughing and smiling and basking in what it means to be a kid.

Memories like riding in Rick Hammers Volkswagen bug, bumping from snow bank to snow bank like a pinball and loving every minute of it.

Memories like the monster eight-foot sledding ramp my cousin Daryl built by hand next door, going so far as to get the garden hose out and water the thing to create a nice thick sheet of ice overnight.

Memories like walking with my dad as a kid while he checked his traps, wondering if this was how the early mountain men did it, too.

Memories like scooping off the back patio in the dead of winter so my sister and I could shoot baskets and keep our skills honed.

Maybe winters in Nebraska aren’t so bad, after all.

I really do love the snow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment