Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Day 354: Dreaming Of The Dead

I have a surprising amount of dreams about people who are no longer living. I had one last night. It wasn't a particularly eventful dream, but it was beautiful all the same.

I've grown to really appreciate these dreams as a chance to catch up with those who are no longer in my physical world. The dreams are never sorrowful or filled with sadness. Like most of my dreams, they typically are just alternative versions of my actually life. Me driving in a car, for example, having a conservation, turning the radio stations, checking out the scenery, and so on--except I'm doing it with someone who is no longer alive. It's all very comforting really. Peaceful and sublime.

The only thing I'd change about these dreams is how they play out. I'd like to be able to pick the person who is revisiting my life via the dream world, for instance. I'd like to push a button and be able to dream of one of the grandparents I never got to know. One of the uncles who could tell me about my family. I'd like to be able to change the age of the person reappearing in my dreams. They're always the same age as when they left this world. I'd like to be able to dictate our surroundings and what we talk about. I'd like to ask them certain questions and seek their advice. But it doesn't work that way.

Despite the lack of control, I'm thankful for the time we share. I'm thankful for the memories these dreams rekindle. I'm thankful for the reminders of what they meant to me while they were here. It's a wonderful gift to have a relationship live on, no matter where it takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment