Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 197: Stop Bitching & Moaning


Sometimes, I have a tendency to bitch and moan too much. Sometimes, I wonder how much that bitching and moaning bothers those I subject it to. Sometimes, I wonder if the things I’m bitching and moaning about are even worth bitching and moaning about. Sometimes, I wonder what I could do that would be a better alternative to the bitching and moaning. Sometimes, I wonder how much of what I consider to be “constructive criticism” is actually bitching and moaning. Sometimes, I think I bitch and moan because I just like to bitch and moan. Sometimes, I think the bitching and moaning leaves me feeling worse.  

Without a doubt, I don’t believe all the bitching and moaning I do is over frivolous, inconsequential matters. In fact, I like to think a good percentage of the things I voice my disapproval about are worth the effort and deserve the attention. I realize there are things I should let go and probably don’t need to offer up my 2 cents about, but more often than not I hope I bitch and moan about worthwhile things. I’m not the kind of guy who is going to go on and on about the bad service he just got in a restaurant. I’ve got bigger worries. Plus, I’m eating food. A lot of people don’t have that basic luxury. I’m not the kind of guy who is going to ask to see a manager or supervisor. I’m not someone who is going on for days about how much the weather sucks or how I got shortchanged at Christmas or any other crap that reeks of entitlement. We live in a privileged country that by birthright grants most of us incredible advantages. Why bitch about annoyances and nuisances. It only perpetuates that which annoyed you in the first place.

No, what I like to bitch and moan about is those who bitch and moan about the annoyances and nuisances. I like to bitch and moan about those who can’t recognize the entitlement they’ve been born into. I have a feeling I take such pleasure because it gives me a sense of superiority, which in its own right is a complete crock and reprehensible. This is a weakness I know, yet take joy nevertheless.

Take yesterday, for example, when I crossed paths with a family arriving at the same ice cream shop as were at but in a big, fat, gas-guzzling SUV. Bad enough they were traveling via environmental deathtrap. That I could look past. What was impossible to not notice was the fact that they left the fricking big rig running, with the air conditioner on, with no one inside, while they all piled out into a FLIPPIN’ ICE CREAM SHOP! Are you kidding me! Did they not see the obvious joke they were making themselves the punch line for? I guess braving the elements upon existing the ICE CREAM SHOP armed with a fat hunk of ICE CREAM scooped up in a fat bowl was too strenuous. It’s this kind of moronic crap that sets me off and sets my mouth into motion, only to leave me wondering later, does anyone even care? Did I accomplish anything other than bugging the people around me? “Oh great, there he goes again.” Maybe I care, but does anyone else give a crap that these people are likely the same who bitch and moan about gas prices?

Maybe I’m just bitter? Am I just too good at spotting stupid stuff? Am I too sensitive? Do I seek this stuff out? I honestly don’t know. Sometimes, I think this stuff finds me just to torment me. Like later in the day, for example, when I randomly picked a seat in the bleachers at the gym my daughter was playing basketball in. I was waiting for her game to start, so I sat and watched the one being played before hers. Fate could have opened up a seat anywhere, but it didn’t. It made the only available seat right in the middle of a pack of wild mother-dogs way too eager to bite and snarl and bitch and moan about every call that didn’t go in favor of their little momma’s boys on the court. Worse was the conduct they saved for a girl playing on one of the two boys teams on the court made up of eighth graders. The girl was good. In fact, she was damn good. She was smart and smooth. She played with composure. She knew where to be and what to do. She made her teammates better. Everything you’d want in a player, she provided. You’d think these women being women would have been thrilled. Here’s a girl more than holding her own among bigger and taller boys. Here’s a girl performing with grace and dignity and doing it with terrific results. Here’s a girl taking all the borderline cheap shots these insecure, petty momma boys on the court were doling out and ignored them to just continue producing at the highest level. But no. These women bath-mouthed this girl at every turn. They derided her. They questioned her femininity. They took delight when she was knocked down. They bitched and moaned when she bested their precious little boys. “How dare she!”

Enter my mouth. First subtly, but then progressively with more vitriol and condemnation, to the point that by the end of the game I was opening quarreling with said wolf pack, holding them back with a stick and swatting them on the end of the nose. I took tremendous pleasure in it all—until later when I was left alone with only my thoughts. I had lowered myself. I had reduced myself to levels I didn’t need to go. I took the lower road when the higher road would have been better to conduct myself on. I welcomed the confrontation and took joy in participating in it. That girl didn’t need me to defend her from these attackers. She had already moved beyond them long, long ago. She had already elevated herself to a place where they didn’t affect her. She was far more mature and focused than any of us. She didn’t bitch and moan. She just lived in the moment she was in.

Christ, anyone who says you can’t learn by just observing something or someone is crazy. Anyone who says you can’t learn from children is blind. Anyone who doesn’t believe in chance encounters isn't paying attention.

I probably won’t stop bitching and moaning anytime soon about those who bitch and moan. But this girl, whose name I don’t know and whose background I’m clueless about, taught me more about bitching and moaning through her actions and conduct and spirit than I could have ever hoped for. Something is at work in this world. Something helped me pay attention and recognize the affect a perfect stranger can have. Somehow, someway, this girl inspired me to be a better person. To stop bitching and moaning and instead influence change through personal conduct, not condemnation. I have a feeling I won’t be the only one to witness the same type of dignity and class and perseverance from this girl and walk away better for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment