Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 200: Less Serious, More Frivolous


There’s something utterly satisfying about having friends who you can communicate with so comfortably and in such great depth about such inane and essentially meaningless topics that makes life so satisfying.

Today, I had conservations with two different sets of friends concerning movies. In no way at all will these conversations advance society, or even myself, in any conceivable manner. Still, it’s amazing how much joy I take away from these kinds of simple exchanges.

Does this make me a simpleton? Does is it mean I have a limited scope of the world? Does it mean I lack vision? Does it mean I need to stir my attention in other directions? Hell, I don’t know. I don’t really care. What I know and care about is that I’m a lucky bastard for having outlets for such meaningless.

Man, life is way too complicated and way too serious the majority of the time. By the time you enter your 30s, it seems the pulling and tugging on your time never ceases. I firmly believe we waste a hell of a lot of time worrying about most of the things related to that pulling and tugging. I mean, really, pertinent is it long-term how our hair looks or if the curtains we’re eying match the color of the carpet. Even the amount of time we collectively spend career-wise deflates me. So much is lost in the chase.

Having friends to distract you from the day-to-day crap is priceless. Having people who help you forget that you need to get the brakes on your car fixed or your cell phone bill is late or that the latest project isn’t coming together at all or that your brother is still pissed at you or blah, blah, blah is beyond a treasure.

I’ve never been one for mindless blither blabber. If there’s one thing I don’t excel at it is small talk. What I do find especially gratifying, though, pointed, specific blither blabber. Ask me what my Top 5 favorite songs are and I’ll blither blabber until the sun goes down. Want to debate the treatment of dogs in Wes Anderson movies like my friends and I did today, and I’m all in. Want to pick out the influences that the original “Total Recall” had on later sci-fi movies like I also did today, man, I’m onboard. I’d go insane without that outlet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment