Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 261: Whew!

Today, I thought I had lost this blog. I thought all the posts that I written every day of this year had somehow been deleted. Gone. Poof. Vanished. In the ether. I legitimately was worried. After all, it's not unprecedented; people lose digital work all the time. Massive amounts of it. And my faith in Google to help me restore my lost posts wasn't all that great, to be honest. Multiple-billion dollar companies have better things to do than help a schmo retrieve his silly little daily musings. 

There's nothing better than the relief of knowing that something you thought you'd lost really isn't gone. Nothing better than finding that certain something you'd feared was gone forever really isn't. 

It's a lesson and a tremendous reminder to take nothing for granted. Don't assume anything. Be thankful for the here and now. Take notice of what's right in front of your face before it's gone. 

Man, if you know me at all, you know how little regard I hold for cliches or touchy feely goodness echoed in the sentenced above. It's just not my personality. But I think maybe, just maybe, the ice is melting a little bit, and I have to thank these silly little daily musings for that. Maybe I'm realizing the worth of a good cliche. 

It's a funny thing being a writer. You're happy when people read your stuff. Your unhappy when they don't. But ultimately you write for yourself. Oh, you very well may be writing for an audience with a certain piece, but if you're really practicing the art of writing, you're doing it for your soul. You're filling some need. You're tapping into something that you can't otherwise tap into without the use of words. Writing provides some kind of satisfaction that's not available by other means. It provides some kind of learning process. Writing takes you places, dumps you in the middle of it, and relies on your skills to get you out. I love that about writing. 

Truth is, I would have been really, really disappointed if I'd had lost these posts to the digital graveyard never to be seen again. I might have even been devastated temporarily. But at the end of the day, I would have carried on, because really, there isn't any other option. More importantly, though, I'm not writing these silly little daily musing to compile some collection of daily entries at the end of it all, although that will be a nice benefit. I'm writing them to learn something about myself along the way and learn how I view the world around me and my place in it. That's the point. 

That said, whewwwwwwwwwwwww!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment