Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day 265: Grownup Time

I love my kids, but man, it's good to have some grownup time in which they're not  around. Ha. That sounds a lot worse than it's intended to. The opportunities that my wife and I get to get away together alone are rare and rarer. So, when those times do manage to come along, like it did yesterday, I savor them for all they're worth.

The thing is that despite how freeing and wonderful it is to walk through a store without the persistent wailing of "Can I get this? Can I get this? Hey, Can I get this?" or how magnificent it is to get through a meal in which nothing is spilled on me, it's always good to come back home and see those faces.

Still, grownup time is so, so good. We've had kids around for roughly 21 years. Whereas most of my friends are at the age where they can go out on the town for a dinner and date without worrying about babysitters or the sniffles or stepping on toys in the middle of the night, we're not. Sometimes, I forget what it's like to sit across the table with a women and just be able to bask in the beauty without having a crayon in my hand connecting dots on a kids' menu. Sometimes, I forget what it's like not having to share my food or cut someone's meat. Sometimes, I forget what it's like not having to get home by 9 p.m. because someone's bed time is coming on fast.

But again, like previously mentioned, it's always good to come back home when adult time is over.I have a feeling that having too much adult time on my hands would ruin me. Besides, the day will come when I have nothing but adult time to spend, and I know I'll long for the days when I didn't. 

1 comment: