Saturday, December 29, 2012

Day 364: The Countdown To The End, Part IV: Marriage

Three posts remaining. I can remember when I had written post No. 3 for the year and wondered how I was every going to manage to write something every day. Funny how attitudes can change. In these last few posts I've tried to concentrate on writing about things that have been particularly positive to me this year. Up to today, that's include my friends, foes, and my kids. Today, I'll write about marriage and tomorrow about myself. 

I was lucky. I grew up in a home in which if I was sure of anything, I was sure my parents were always going to be together. They married when they were 17 and 18, and they're still married today. That's an excellent example and motivation. 

There are some marriages you just know by being around them that they are solid and concrete. You know they might shift and budge a little, but they're never going to completely crack. That type of edifice seems to be fewer and farther between these days. It's as if people almost expect that they're going to divorce at some point in there lives. I can remember when divorce was the exception. The big exception. It isn't anymore. It's commonplace. That's good and bad I suppose. It's good, for example, that women don't have to feel beholden to stay in a crappy marriage in which they're regularly beat and/or berated. In which they're belittled and ignored. It's a shame, though, that people get married so young and give up at the first sign of trouble. To get to the gold, you have to trudge through some sludge first. 

Marriage isn't easy, but it's worth the effort. I hope that my kids will walk away with that idea. I hope they find that someone who helps them build something solid and concrete. I hope they find that someone they can lean on and confide in. I hope they all believe in marriage and what it can represent as much as I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment