Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 114: Saying, “I’m Sorry”


Yesterday, I read an amazing article published at OregonLive.com that a friend posted on Facebook. I’m so thankful I took the time to actually click the link and read it. Often, I see things that look interesting or that I know I should spend a few minutes reading or looking at but don’t for one reason or another. I often think that when I do, there’s a higher power at work that leads me to veer down a tangent I didn’t expect to travel on in order to learn a lesson or identify an issue I’ve been neglecting or to just contemplate the importance of some aspect of my life that I haven’t been devoting enough attention to. Whatever the reason, yesterday, I took a few moments, stepped off the beaten path, and was greatly rewarded for doing so and by what I found.

Though I highly encourage everyone to read the article, if you don’t, it essentially boils down to a man making an apology to another man who he felt he had done wrong. It’s that simple; a basic story that details a man’s need to say, “I’m sorry, and I needed you to hear that.” But this article is also about so much more. It’s about perseverance and morals and ethics and bravery and humbleness and introspection. It’s about looking deep within yourself, recognizing you’ve made mistakes, and recognizing that you can become a better person by staring down those mistakes and rectifying them, no matter how difficult or exhausting or painful it may be. This is an article about a man who as a boy felt he had dishonored a teacher. Thirty-nine years later he did something about it by making amends for his actions. It’s an article about healing painful wounds. Who doesn’t have some of those in his or her closet that could use some exorcising?

The article led me into some deep thought concerning the various apologies that I need to make myself. The wrongs that I need to make right. The people I did wrong and how it may have changed them. How if I’d have carried my actions out differently, their lives may have turned out slightly different, too. Everyone has such apologies to make. Everyone puts at least some of these on the backburner. Everyone eventually puts enough distance between their transgressions and themselves, whether purposefully or because they lack the courage or vulnerability or humbleness to confront and rectify them. Despite the time and distance, though, the mistakes we’ve made, particularly the egregious ones, remain. They don’t truly disappear.

As in the case of the man in this article, it’s understandable why we make some mistakes. We can go to great lengths to rationalize some errors and even fully believe the rationalizations. Still, no amount of rationalization will truly ease the discomfort of knowing you’ve caused someone pain, intentionally or not. It won’t dissipate completely the discomfort and disappointment and truth that we know about ourselves, that when we were faced with some type of adversity, we took the easy way out or looked the other way rather than risk vulnerability or demonstrate strength in order to do the right thing at the right time.

I know I’ve failed to do the right thing at the right time many times. I know some of those failures are probably forgivable, but they’re still failures. Forgiving them doesn’t change the fact that I wavered when I should have stood tall. It doesn’t change the fact that I kept my mouth shut when it should have been wide open. It doesn’t change the fact that instead of stepping directly into battle, I flinched momentarily or failed to engage at all.

Positively, I think that as I’ve aged and grown more aware of the importance of standing on principles, I’ve done a better job of making it clear where I stand and taking decisive action when it was needed, whether that meant risking exposing myself in some way or putting myself in the minority and risking the contempt and ridicule of the larger majority. Still, I know there are those who I owe an apology to, those who I should have stepped up and fought for but didn’t. Whether it was a classmate so many years ago who could have benefited from having me fight on their behalf against or a child being berated by a parent in the grocery store, I know I could have done more. Whether it was a girlfriend I could have treated better or a stranger I could have reached out to with aid and comfort, I know I could have done more. Whether it was family I took my anger out on or friends I took for granted, I know there are apologies to make.

I’m not sure where one should draw the line between simply learning from your past and actively doing something to address the past, between letting sleeping dog lie and making a wrong a right. I’m not sure if some people even want such apologies. Perhaps they’ve made their own peace and it didn't require having anything to do with those who slighted them. I do know there’s much to be gained from reflecting on those you’ve failed and using that knowledge to not let it repeat in the future. I do know that I sincerely mean it when I say if I’ve done you harm or caused you pain, I do apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment